3 April 1984, this was the day when an Indian went on a space walk for the first time. It was the day when a new chapter was added to the history of Indian space exploration. On this day Rakesh Sharma became the first person from India who went to space. This was a very historic moment for our country.
- Rakesh Sharma was born on 13 January 1949 in Patiala, Punjab.
- His father’s name was Devendranath Sharma and his mother’s name was Tripta Sharma.
- Rakesh Sharma’s family belonged to the city Multan in west Punjab, which is currently in Pakistan.
- He spent his childhood in Hyderabad and Rakesh Sharma did his early studies at St. George’s Grammar School.
- Since childhood, Rakesh Sharma was very interested in space events and in astronomy.
- Rakesh sharma was just 12 years old, When Yuri Gagarin from russia became the first person to go to the space in the world on 12 April 1961.
- He did his graduation from Nizam College, Hyderabad and after that in 1966, Rakesh Sharma joined the National Defense Academy which is located in Pune. That time he was just 17 years old.
- In 1970, he joined the Indian Air Force as a test pilot and in the year 1984, he was promoted to the rank of Squadron Leader.
- He was then selected as an Astronaut and became the first person from india to go to space.
Rakesh Sharma spent 7 days 21 hours and 40 minutes in space.
If you have a great interest in science or astronomy then there are some pictures for you.
Location – Nehru Planetarium , New Delhi
There are 5 Nehru Planetarium in india which is located in Mumbai, New Delhi, Pune, Allahabad and Bangalore.