I can say that you may have read about the solar system in your textbooks and in many places. But have you ever thought to know more about it?
If we talk about the whole universe, there are more than 2 trillion galaxies.
We live on a planet Earth and our Earth revolves around the Sun, similarly, the rest of the planets revolve around the Sun and our solar system revolves around the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy.
So There are so many things we don’t know about our solar system.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s start today’s topic and know very special things about your solar system.
Facts of Solar System
1) Do we have nine planets in our solar system?
=No, we have only 8 planets in our solar system – Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn , Uranus and Neptune. But in our school, we were taught that there are nine planets in our solar system Of which the ninth planet was named Pluto. But in August 2006, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) gave Pluto the status of a “dwarf planet”.
Do you know? Almost all the planets orbit the sun in a circular orbit but Pluto orbits the sun in an elliptical orbit.
Any object will be called a planet only if
• it orbits the sun
• object should have enough mass to keep itself in a circular shape
• and has cleared the neighborhood around it’s orbit .
But Pluto did not follow the Third Criteria that’s why IAU gave Pluto the status of a “dwarf planet” .
2) Is it important to have the moon?
= Have you ever thought what would our life be like if there was no moon? In earlier times the moon was very close to the Earth but the moon will be far away from us in the coming times. If there is no moon, then one day on our planet earth will be 6 to 12 hours so there will be thousands of days in 1 year means the speed of the Earth would have increased so much due to which our Earth can not even absorb the sunlight and then the temperature also stays in the minus.
If the Earth and the Moon were not bound by each other’s gravity, then without moon earth’s axis would keep changing and there will be no time to change the weather on earth.
3) At what speed do our planets orbit the sun?
• mercury(speed around the sun) – 29 miles (47 km) per second and it takes approx 88 days to complete one round around the sun.
• Venus(speed around the Sun) – 35.02 km per second and it takes approx 225 days to complete one round around the Sun.
•Earth (speed around the sun) – 30 km per second and it takes exactly 365 days 5 hours 59 minutes and 16 seconds to complete one round around the Sun.
• Mars (speed around the sun) – 86,871 km per hour and it takes approx 686 days to complete one round around the Sun.
• Jupiter(speed around the Sun) – 47,051 km per hour and it takes approx 4,333 days to complete one round around the Sun.
•Saturn (speed around the Sun) – 9.68 km per second and it takes approx 10,759 days to complete one round around the Sun.
•Uranus (speed around the sun) – 6.8 km per second and it takes approx 30,687 days to complete one round around the Sun.
•Neptune (speed around the Sun) – 5.43 km per second and it takes approx 60,190 days to complete one round around the Sun.
4) Which is the hottest planet of our solar system?
= Venus is the hottest planet of our entire solar system but as we know Mercury is the closest planet to the sun but still it is not the hottest planet because mercury has no atmosphere so that it can’t absorb heat to keep the surface warm.
5) Which is the brightest planet of our solar system?
= Venus is brighter than mercury because Venus is covered by the clouds and reflects more incoming sunlight.
6)Can mars be our next home?
•it’s soil contains water so that we can extract water from it.
•Mars is not too hot and not too cold.
•There is enough sunlight that we can use solar panels.
7) When does a solar eclipse occur?
It occurs when the moon completely covers the sun.
When the Moon enters between the Sun and the Earth, a solar eclipse occurs .
8) When does a lunar eclipse occur?
First of all, Lunar eclipse occurs only in the dark of the night . A lunar eclipse begins when the Earth comes between the Moon and the Sun and the Sun puts its light on the Moon.
9) Who was the first person to go to space?
= In 1961, Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin – the first human in space.
10) Can we see planets with our naked eyes?
= You must also have thought that at some time we could see planets with our naked eyes. But what if I say that it is possible?
Yes, You can see with your naked eyes.
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are the planets so that you can see these 5 planets without a telescope.
But for this, you have to study the position of the planets.
If you do not have time and just want to do this for fun, then there are so many apps so that you can download or using these apps and you can also learn many things.
These apps will help you :
1)sky map 2) Star Walk 3) Sky View